THOMAS, Heather Irene
|Member since:||February 2008|
|Telephone:||+44 (0) 20 7588 0686|
|Mobile:||+44 (0) 7973 937 310|
Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, Jurisprudence 1974.Admitted as a solicitor 1977.
- Practising as Heather Thomas Consulting, solicitor, 2007-2015
- Non-executive director of The Veterinary Defence Society Limited, 2010-2012
- General counsel and company secretary, Wellington Underwriting plc, also compliance officer Wellington Underwriting Agencies Ltd, 2005-2007 (until Wellington’s acquisition by Catlin)
- Consultant, insurance and reinsurance group, Lovells, 1998-2005, contentious and non-contentious business
- Head of legal and risk management, Willis Faber plc, subsequently Willis Corroon, 1982 -1998
- Assistant solicitor, litigation, Linklaters 1979-1982
- Non-executive director of SG Hambros Bank Ltd.
- Non-executive director of CNA Insurance Company Limited
- Non-executive director of Hardy (Underwriting Agencies) Limited
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – FCIArb.
- Member of the Insurance and Reinsurance Legacy Association
- Member of the British Insurance Law Association
- Panel Member of ARIAS (UK)
Extensive experience of insurance and reinsurance litigation and transactions, and the management of legal risk (including professional indemnity insurance) both as client and external adviser. Particular expertise in the distribution of insurance products through banks, retailers and affinity groups. Published the Regulation of Insurance Brokers and Intermediaries in 2004.
Good, but not fluent French.