POWELL, John Frederick
|Member since:||October 2014|
Selwyn College Cambridge. Graduated 1966 with Batchelor of Arts in Theology and Social Anthropology. Further year studying law. 1969 Master of Arts.
- Solicitor/Consultant – HoganLovells, May 2006-September 2014. Also acting independently for certain agreed clients
- Partner – Lovell White Durrant, subsequently Lovells now HoganLovells (Solicitors), July 1991-April 2006
- Partner – Stephenson Harwood (Solicitors), May 1988-June 1991
- Partner – Holman Fenwick and Willan (Solicitors), 1974-April 1988. Engaged initially in marine insurance issues. Subsequently founded a reinsurance practice
- Assistant Solicitor – Holman Fenwick and Willan (Solicitors), 1970-1974
- July 2014 to present: Non Executive Director, Berkshire Hathaway International Insurance Limited
In 1991 was a Founder Member of ARIAS (UK). Since then sat on the ARIAS (UK) Management Committee until 2014. I was Vice Chairman for ARIAS (UK) for 15 years until my retirement from the Committee in May 2014. Led the drafting of the three editions of ARIAS (UK) Arbitration Rules (AAR), the first in 1992 and the third in 2013. Also led the drafting of ARIAS Fast Track Arbitration Rules (AFTAR) adopted in 2013. Now Panel Member of ARIAS (UK).
Involved in dispute resolution particularly arbitral dispute resolution within the insurance industry since 1970. At Lovells headed the global insurance and reinsurance dispute resolution and general advisory practice – by 2004 in excess of 60 lawyers based in London and the US. Experience of dispute resolution and arbitral dispute resolution in many jurisdictions.
CEDR Accredited mediator. Became a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in 1995 (since resigned).