BURLING, Julian Michael
|Member since:||January 2011|
|Telephone:||+44 (0) 20 7242 6105|
|Fax:||+44 (0) 20 7405 4004|
- King Edward’s School, Birmingham
- St John’s College, Cambridge, MA, LLB
- Called to the Bar by Middle Temple 1976
- Practising as a barrister – 1977 to date
- Counsel to Lloyd’s, 1995-2010;
- General Manager – Solicitor’s Group, Lloyd’s, 1992-1995;
- Solicitor’s Group, Lloyd’s, 1985-1992
- Practice in chambers at Commercial Bar 1978-1985
- Guest lecturer – Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary, University of London, 2008 to date
Barrister, arbitrator, and mediator at Serle Court, Lincoln’s Inn.
- Chairman – British Insurance Law Association, 2008-2010
- Committee member – British Insurance Law Association, 2002 to date
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Panel Member of ARIAS (UK)
Over 30 years of litigation/arbitration of insurance/reinsurance and related disputes. Appearing on behalf of parties in arbitrations when in private practice at the Bar. Drafting insurance and reinsurance contracts and underwriting agency agreements. As Counsel to Lloyd’s, principal legal adviser to Lloyd’s on technical legal matters relating to Lloyd’s and the Lloyd’s market, including insurance, reinsurance, insurance intermediaries, banking, trusts, insolvency and FSA and overseas regulatory matters. Chairing conferences on insurance law. Lecturing at British Insurance Law Association, firms of solicitors and universities on aspects of insurance law and practice. Author of Lloyd’s: Law and Practice, Routledge 2013, and Joint Editor of Research Handbook on International Insurance Law and Regulation, Edward Elgar 2011. Contributor to Clarke, The Law of Insurance Contracts, and other publications.
Basic French and German.