MENDELOWITZ, Michael S.
|Member since:||April 2023|
|Telephone:||07802 235 250|
- University of the Witwatersrand: BA 1974, LLB 1976
- Oxford University: BCL 1979
- Advocate of the Supreme Court of South Africa (called 1977)
- Barrister of the Middle Temple (called 1981)
- Solicitor, Senior Courts of England and Wales (admitted 1989)
- Law firm partner (Barlow Lyde & Gilbert 1990-2007, Norton Rose Fulbright 2007-2014)
- General Counsel, ERGO Versicherung AG, UK Branch (2014-2020)
Independent arbitrator and consultant
- Formerly principal co-author and general editor of Reinsurance Practice and the Law (Informa/Routledge, loose-leaf or on-line)
- Contributor to Insurance Disputes (Informa/Routledge, 3rd edition, 2012), Research Handbook on International Insurance Law and Regulation (Edward Elgar 2011, 2nd edition forthcoming), and other publications
- Member of Law Society and Chartered Insurance Institute
- British Insurance Law Association (Committee member 2010-2018; Chairman 2014-2016)
Over 35 years’ experience as counsel or solicitor advising on and resolving insurance and reinsurance disputes (with most cases being subject to arbitration) dealing with, inter alia, issues of contract interpretation (particularly aggregation and allocation of loss); materiality of underwriting information; environmental and other long tail liability; insurer insolvency; and financial services regulation. Several appointments to domestic and international arbitral panels hearing reinsurance disputes.